This ad is FUCKING TERRIBLE. No wonder we are losing.
1. It looks like every other political ad. Just as boring. My eyes are glazing over.
2. "Pushed by out of state special interests"? Once upon a time, Special Interests was a buzzword that actually carried some weight – it made some political junkies (mostly Rush Limbaugh listeners) sit up and pay attention. But that was in the nineties. "Special Interests" doesn't have the impact it once did. In 2008, "Special Interests" is a cliché. And not only that, it's a WEAK, BLAND description for the people who are funding the campaign for this bill. And who is providing that funding, you may ask? Why, it's the Mormons! Why not NAME THE SPECIAL INTERESTS who are funding this bill? The Mormons are NOT popular in this state. Why is the No-on-8 campaign afraid of naming them? I GUARANTEE that "Pushed by the Mormon Church" has WAAAAAY more impact than "Pushed by out of state special interests."
3. No celebrities. Ellen. Brad Pit. Steven Spielberg, Rosie, Melissa Ethridge, Greg Berlanti and probably LOTS MORE FAMILIAR, LIKEABLE (well, not Rosie) celebrities who would be happy to star in a few commercials.
4. Other than Ellen (thanks Ellen!), gay celebrities are AWOL from the public fight. I'm looking at you, George Takei! HEY, MISTER FIRST-IN-LINE! YOU GOT YOURS, WHY DON'T YOU STAND UP FOR THE REST OF US?
5. Where THE HELL is the phrase "ELIMINATES RIGHTS"? People NEVER vote to eliminate rights.
6. WHY is this the ONLY COMMERCIAL RUNNING? WHY ARE THERE NOT TEN DIFFERENT COMMERCIALS RUNNING? I realize this is more of a critique of the campaign and not this particular ad, but it needs to be said!
WHO IS IN CHARGE OF THIS CAMPAIGN? IS THIS HOW YOU ARE SPENDING THE MONEY I DONATED?
YOU FUCKING SUCK!
If you agree that this is the worst-run campaign ever, send the prop 8 campaign an email here.